Saturday, July 17, 2010

How I Gained 50 Lbs in One Year

I blame you, perimenopause. Yeah, you. I see you and your pal, menopause, lurking there in the shadows hoping I won't notice you. You both are a couple of meanies.

35 Symptoms of Menopause and Perimenopause
My symptoms are in bold.

  1. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling
  2. Irregular heart beat
  3. Irritability
  4. Mood swings, sudden tears
  5. Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
  6. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
  7. Loss of libido 
  8. Dry vagina
  9. Crashing fatigue
  10. Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
  11. Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
  12. Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
  13. Disturbing memory lapses
  14. Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence
  15. Itchy, crawly skin
  16. Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
  17. Increased tension in muscles
  18. Breast tenderness
  19. Headache change: increase or decrease
  20. Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
  21. Sudden bouts of bloat
  22. Depression
  23. Exacerbation of existing conditions
  24. Increase in allergies
  25. Weight gain
  26. Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
  27. Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
  28. Changes in body odor
  29. Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head
  30. Tingling in the extremities
  31. Gum problems, increased bleeding
  32. Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
  33. Osteoporosis (after several years)
  34. Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
  35. Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc.


Numbers 9 and 25 are what's kicking my butt. 'Crashing fatigue' is a very true description of how I've been feeling going on 10 months now. I have no energy. None. I'm dead tired all the time - even when I first get up in the morning.

I set a goal this week to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week and haven't had the energy to start. I come home from work and I'm no good for the rest of the day. I do the bare minimum of housework. I'm surprised Spidey(my hubby) who is a neat freak hasn't filed for divorce yet. He must really love me.

And you know about the weight gain. Fifty damn pounds in a year! I'm sure barely moving the past 10 months has had a lot to do with it. Oh, and all those other bolded lines are just the cherry on the sundae. WoOt!

A friend suggested I go see my Gyno and have some tests done to 'make sure it is menopause and not something else.' Good advice. I might just take it - after I lose a few pounds. I definitely don't need to see my Dr's. face when he sees how much weight I've packed on since my last visit. I see plenty of surprised looks as it is from friends and family I haven't seen in a while.

Time to take my multi-vitamin and do a little housework. 'Little' being the operative word.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment